Mr. Uday Kotak
President-Designate, CII (2018-19)
Managing Director & CEO,
Kotak Mahindra Bank Limited
Uday Kotak is the Founder and CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank (Kotak). The Bank has consolidated net worth of around US$7 billion and around 45,000 employees. For Uday, who believes that the true measure of performance is value creation, the scorecard is telling: investors who kept faith with the enterprise over the past 32 years have seen 40% CAGR on their investments over this period.
When Uday dipped a finger in the banking and financial sector in 1985, he knew he had found his calling. For the 26-year old, the small bill discounting business he had started held the promise of a universal banking company. In March 2003, the company that Uday built, Kotak Mahindra Finance became the first NBFC in India to get a banking license.
Today, Kotak is among India's efficient, high-performing and trusted banks. Uday's strategy for growth is defined by quality, simplicity and prudence. This conviction and a respectable distance from market exuberance has ensured that the bank is well capitalized and its asset book is of high quality.
The premise of Kotak's business model is concentrated India, diversified financial services. The group has a global presence with offices in key financial markets. The bold vision that underscores the group's growth is also an inclusive one, with a host of products and services designed to address the needs of the unbanked and insufficiently banked.
The group's vision for equitable prosperity extends beyond banking and financial services. The Kotak Education Foundation works with some of India's most economically depressed communities, attempting to alleviate poverty in a sustainable way through education and livelihood programmes.
Uday holds a Bachelor's degree in Commerce and an MBA from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai.
- Co-Chairman of Indo-UK Financial Services Partnership (IUKFP) constituted under guidance of Ministry of Finance (MoF), Government of India (GoI) and UK Treasury
- Vice President of Confederation of Indian Industries (CII)
- Served as Chairman of Securities & Exchange Board of India (SEBI) constituted Corporate Governance Committee
- Chairman of Advisory Committee on Corporate Insolvency and Liquidation constituted by the
Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India
- Chairman of Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bodh Gaya
- Served as a member of the Primary Market Advisory Committee of SEBI
- Member of the Board of Governors of Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER)
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC)
- Governing Member of the Mahindra United World College of India
- Served as a member of Government of India's High Level Committee on Financing Infrastructure, which was set up by Government of India in 2010
- 'Banker of the Year' at Businessworld Magna Awards 2018
- 'Business Leader' at the Lakshmipat Singhania - IIM Lucknow National Leadership Awards 2017
- 'Lifetime Achievement Award ' at Financial Express' Best Banks' Awards 2016
- 'Businessman of the Year 2016' by Business India
- Sole Indian Financier to feature in Money Masters: The Most Powerful People in The Financial World, by Forbes magazine, USA (May 2016)
- 'AIMA-JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award' for the year 2015 at AIMA's 2nd National Leadership Conclave
- 'Best Transformational Leader Award 2015' by Asian Centre for Corporate Governance Sustainability in 2016
- 'ET Business Leader of the Year' at ET Awards 2015 for Corporate Excellence
- 'Entrepreneur of the Year' at Forbes India Leadership Awards 2015
- 'Entrepreneur of the Decade' by Bombay Management Association (BMA) in 2015
- 'Banker of the Year 2014' by Businessworld
- 'Transformational Business Leader Award' at the AIMA Managing India Award 2014
- 'Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year 2014 Award'
- 'Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013 Award (India)'
- 'Banker of the Year 2013-14' at India's Best Bank Awards by Financial Express
- 'Financial Leadership Award' at NDTV Profit's Business Leadership Award 2011
- CNBC Asia's Business Leader of the Year in 2008
- 'Global leaders for tomorrow' at the World Economic Forum's annual meet at Davos in 1996