· Tamil Nadu was one of the top three States in the information industry (IT) sector in the country and the goal of the State government was to make it the number one in all IT investments. The policies of the State government had made Tamil Nadu the most preferred place to make investments and to do business, Mr P Thangamani, Minister for Industries, Government of Tamil Nadu, said here on 15 December, 2014.
In his address as the chief guest of the inaugural session of ‘CONNECT 2014’, the Conference and Exhibition on Information and Communication Technology (ICT), organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in association with Government of Tamil Nadu, with the theme - Digital Infrastructure: Enabling the World of Tomorrow” , here on Monday, he said the new industrial policy has given “a business-friendly environment with world-class infrastructure and a boost to the employment and skill levels in the State’’.
· Mr Thangamani said CONNECT was one of the flagship events of the Government of Tamil Nadu and CII. He said the IT and ITES industry has been a major contributor to the services sectors in Tamil Nadu. He said there were 1780 software units in Tamil Nadu in 2012-13 and they employed 3.75 lakh people.
· CII `CONNECT’, which was into its 13th edition, aimed at highlighting the potential of Tamil Nadu, to be the most suitable destination in India for investment in the ICT Sector.
· Under the Vison 2023, the Tamil Nadu government so far signed 33 MoUs worth Rs 31,706 crore with an employment potential of over 1.62 lakh, the Minister said.
· Mr Mukkur N Subramanian, Minister for Information Technology, Government of Tamil Nadu, was the guest of honour for the inaugural session.
· The CII-KPMG report, titled ‘Digital Infrastructure : Enabling the world of tomorrow’, was released by the Ministers.
· Mr T K Ramachandran, IAS, Secretary, Information Technology, Government of Tamil Nadu, said the State had very good connectivity and skilled human resources for the development of a digital infrastructure.
The IT secretary said with the scheme of free laptop supply to the students the State government has succeeded in bridging the digital divide. The State was also planning to facilitate internet access to over 70 lakh families.
· Mr R Chandrasekaran, Executive Vice Chairman, Cognizant India, said there was a new wave of machine to machine communication, called the `Internet of Things’ (IOT). “This is a once- in- a decade opportunity that we are witnessing’’, he said. Actions had to be taken at the individual, organizational and government levels to realize the potential of IOT, he added. To tap the big opportunities right kind of interventions had to be made by education and policy framework, he added.
· Mr Ravi Viswanathan, Chairman, CII Connect 2014 and President – Growth Markets, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd, said the theme focus of `CONNECT 2014’ was to help Tamil Nadu gear itself to be at the leadership position. The discussions were on the role Digital infrastructure would play in creating smart cities of the future; how it would revolutionize the healthcare landscape; the best way forward for the IT industry to tap the great opportunity for the Indian IT-BPM companies and on unleashing the potential of IOT, which was transforming the economy and world.
· On Tuesday the discussions would be on the future development of E-commerce and the policies and frameworks necessary for the growth of digital infrastructure, he added.
· Mr Navas Meeran, Chairman, CII Southern Region and Chairman, Eastern Condiments Pvt Ltd, said “Technological innovation is crucial to achieving long term, sustainable growth, which has both economic and social benefits. With over 60 percent of India’s IT and Electronics hardware exports were from South, the ICT industry has energized the economic development of Southern India, said Mr Meeran.
· Mr Ravi Sam, Chairman, CII Tamil Nadu and Managing Director, Adwaith Lakshmi Industries Ltd, requested the government and industry to focus also on the tier-two cities in Tamil Nadu. He said more attention should be paid to the use of information technology in education.
Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has been organizing CONNECT Event in Chennai for the past 12 years.The Connect series has been the forum for Indian ICT Industry to confer on latest trends & developments. This premier annual Conference cum Exposition on Information and Communication Technology has been focusing on Tamil Nadu’s growth in ICT Sector. The idea behind this initiative was to make Tamil Nadu State, one of the potential States in India for investment in the ICT Sector, at that time, when India was emerging as a global hub for generating IT manpower to cater the requirement of various advanced countries in the world. This event was jointly organised by Government of Tamil Nadu and CII.
The first edition of Connect was launched in the year of 2001 and the same was inaugurated by then Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu State Selvi J. Jayalalithaa and since then Connect has had 12 editions, showcasing the potential of Tamil Nadu State in the ICT Sector and has projected Tamil Nadu as a favoured destination for investments in the sector. The Connect series has given impetus to wider Industry – Government collaborations and led to projects like the ICT Academy, IT Parks in the tier 2 & tier 3 cities, IT Corridors and developments of SEZs.
Following were the session topics:
Day 1 - 15 December 2014
o Session 1 : Panel Discussion Session on “ Digital Infrastructure : Creating the Smart Cities of the future
o Session 2 : Panel Discussion Session on “ The Next Big Wave : How the Digital Infrastructure will revolutionize the healthcare landscape
o Session 3 : Panel Discussion Session on “ Digital Infrastructure : A US $ 2 trillion Opportunity for Indian IT-BPM Companies
o Session 4 : Panel Discussion Session on “Unleashing the potential of Internet of Things in a connected World: Transforming the economy and world around us
Day 2 - 16 December 2014
· Session 5 : Panel Discussion Session on “ E Commerce 2020 : How Social Media, mobility and the sharing economy are shaping the future of E Commerce
· Session 6 : Panel Discussion Session on “Policies & Frameworks for the growth of Digital Infrastructure
· Session 7 : CII Connect 2014 awards and Valedictory Session
You will get access to following Knowledge Resources by subscribing to the Digital
Library of this event.